Code No. 303.5
Page 1 of 2
Administration may be hired by the board to assist the superintendent in the day-to-day operations of the school district.
Each attendance center may have a building principal responsible for the administration and operation of the attendance center. Each building principal, as chief administrator of the assigned attendance center, shall be responsible for the building and grounds, for the students and employees assigned to the attendance center, for school activities at the attendance center, for the education program offered in the attendance center, and the budget for the attendance center. The principal shall be considered the professional advisor to the superintendent in matters pertaining to the attendance center supervised by the principal. Although the principal serves under the direction of the superintendent, duties of the principal may include, but not be limited to the following:
• Cooperate in the general organization and plan of procedure in the school under the principal's supervision;
• Supervision of the teachers in each principal's attendance center;
• Maintaining the necessary records for carrying out their delegated duties;
• Work with the superintendent in the rating, recommending and selection of employees under the principal's supervision whenever possible;
• Work with the superintendent in determining the education program to be offered and in arranging the schedules. As much of the schedule as possible should be made before school closes for summer vacation. In the matter of courses offered, the final approval rests with the superintendent who is in turn responsible to the board;
• Ensure that proper care is taken of all school books, supplies, materials, equipment and furniture. Any cases of intentional abuse or misuse shall be reported immediately;
• Instruct their teachers to make a complete annual inventory of all school property contained in their individual rooms. This inventory shall be filed with the superintendent;
• Investigate excessive cases of absence or tardiness of students and notify the parents or guardians in every case of unexcused absence or tardiness. All such cases shall be immediately reported to the superintendent;
Approved 8/23/94 Reviewed 10/9/95; 10/8/98; 9/15/03; 10/14/08; 9/18/13; 9/11/18; 9/12/23 Revised
Code No. 303.5
• Make such reports from time to time as the superintendent may require;
• Maintain the regular schedule of school hours established by the board and shall make no temporary changes in the schedule without the consent of the superintendent;
• Promptly notify the superintendent whenever ventilation, sanitation or heating of the building is unsatisfactory;
• Contribute to the formation and implementation of general policies and procedures of the school;
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the superintendent of schools.
This list of duties shall not act to limit the board's authority and responsibility over the position of the administration. In executing these duties and others the board may delegate, the administration shall consider the school district's financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the school district.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 279.8, .21 (1993).
281 I.A.C. 12.4(5), .4(6), .4(7).
Cross Reference: 301 Administrative Structure
303 Administrative Employees
MORNING SUN COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS Page 2 of 2